Guidelines for Virtual and In-Person Participation
The Hollywood Senior Center is a non-profit organization serving older adults. The center functions as a meeting place where participants can socialize, take part in activities and classes, receive services that enhance their quality of life, and maintain involvement in the community. Due to COVID-19, the center is currently closed to the public until further notice. Current programming has moving to our virtual platform.
The goal of the Hollywood Senior Center is to be a welcoming, safe environment for older adults to interact with peers.
Hollywood Senior Center Anti-Discrimination Policy
Hollywood Senior Center does not discriminate against any employee, volunteer, participant, or guest on the basis of race, color, cultural heritage, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender or gender orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, income, veteran status, or any other status protected under local, state, or federal law. This policy extends to all personnel decisions, terms and conditions of employment, vendor contracts, provision of services, and use of center space. The Hollywood Senior Center does not tolerate harassment for any reason. The guiding principle for our relations with each other is respect for the dignity of all people.
A. Standards of Conduct: We expect that participants will:
- Provide the Hollywood Senior Center staff with the name and telephone number of a person to contact in case of an emergency. If a participant experiences a medical problem while on the premises, it is expected (but not mandatory) that the participant will follow the recommendation of the Senior Center staff to seek appropriate medical attention.
- Abstain from smoking, drinking alcohol, or using illegal substances on the premises. Participants who are inebriated, or otherwise affected by substance use, will be asked to leave immediately.
- Take responsibility for their own personal health and well-being, including medical care, hygiene, toileting, medication, and eating. The Hollywood Senior Center does not function as an adult day care center. Participants may bring a designated person with them who can assist with any of these tasks.
- Have an awareness of their environment (including place, time, and people) and are capable of independent decision-making. As stated above, a participant may bring a designated person to assist them.
- Avoid causing disturbances or disruption and show respect for the building facilities and the personal property of others. This includes, but is not limited to, theft, inappropriate behavior of a sexual nature, physical or verbal abuse, or offensive language.
- Refrain from violence or threats of violence. Possession of any weapons is strictly prohibited.
B. Remedies for Violations:
- If a Senior Center staff member witnesses or gets a report of inappropriate behavior, including behavior related to mental health issues, they will use their discretion to take corrective action.
- Staff may ask the participant to refrain from engaging in the inappropriate behavior.
- If warranted, staff may call for medical assistance, an ambulance, and/or the participant’s emergency contact person.
- In the case of violence or threatened violence, staff will call the police and will file an incident report.
- Violations may result in the participant being asked to leave.
- Repeated or serious violations may result in permanent suspension of Hollywood Senior Center privileges.
- If a participant cannot meet the required standards, staff is available to share resources and discuss options. The staff is committed to providing a welcoming atmosphere for as many of the community’s older adults as possible.
A. Zoom: We strongly recommend downloading the Zoom App on your device for a better user experience.
B. Standards of Conduct for participants:
- Do your own tech support before you start. For example, log on a few minutes early to check your volume and video and familiarize yourself with the screen.
- Stay on “mute” if you are not talking unless your facilitator advises you otherwise.
- Don’t eat during the meeting.
- Dress appropriately if you use your video.
- Participate in the digital environment in the same way you would take part in a meeting in a physical room. Speak up when called on, listen attentively, and minimize distractions for others. Share your thoughts, but don’t dominate the air space; give others ample opportunity to contribute to the proceedings.
- If you wish to speak, please wait for a break in the conversation, or for the facilitator to invite the opportunity. Interrupting other participants impedes communication.
- Follow staff, volunteer, and/facilitator instructions, and raise concerns respectfully and constructively.
C. Remedies for Violations:
- If a volunteer or participant does not adhere to the virtual programming standards of conduct:
- Hollywood Senior Center staff may contact you regarding your behaviors and actions and, in most cases, provide an opportunity to correct the behavior.
- Some behaviors may result in immediate removal from a meeting or event, including:
- Bullying, harassing, or using derogatory language towards another person or group of people.
- Sending, posting, or sharing negative, harmful, false, or mean content about others online.
- Sharing personal or private information about someone else online, without that person’s knowledge or consent.
- Repeated and/or serious violations of conduct in our virtual environment may result in a permanent suspension of access to Hollywood Senior Center online programming.
D. What to do if you have witnessed or experienced negative interactions during our online programs:
- It is important that our participants feel safe and respected.
- If you have witnessed or experienced negative interactions during a Hollywood Senior Center virtual program, please contact the Center Activity and Event Manager, Michael Murphy, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All participants will be given a copy of the senior center guidelines at the time of registration.